Thursday, November 13, 2008

3/4 Finished with Chemotherapy :)


Today I went and had my portable infusion pump of 5-FU disconnected which ends my 9th cycle !

I'm now 3/4 through my treatments!!!

I asked my doctor what the next steps would be when I finished my treatments at the end of this year and when could I have the surgery to remove the implanted mediport with catheter.

He said that upon completing treatments that I would need to come in to have the port flushed every 6-8 weeks, have some blood tests and that he would be ordering scans and we'd take it from there.

I asked if the mediport could come out if the scans looked okay and he said he likes to keep them in until after the followup colonoscopy which would be in May of 2009 for me.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Good luck. I finished my treatments last November (2007). It's a happy day! Don't have to have that damn fanny pack strapped to your waist for a weekend. My doc didn't take my port out until April. But I felt great when he asked, "Do you want your port out?" Heck yeah! Some people like to keep theirs in, which seems crazy. Have you lost weight on chemo?
Colon cancer cowgirl

Mike B said...

I've actually gained a little weight. I think it's from the steroids that they use in the anti-nausea IV that I get?

I agree on the pump...hate it. Did you have scans before they let you have port out?

-Mike