Monday, June 1, 2009

Mediport Removed :)



This morning I had my mediport removed. I had a decision to go with conscious sedation or just the local numbing. I asked the surgeon which he preferred and why.

He said 90% of his patients do NOT get the consious sedation and they have no problem and walk out of here after the procedure is finished. The other 10% have to be wheeled up to a room and wait for another two hours before they can be released.

I opted to just go with the local numbing. The only pain I felt was the needle pokes into my chest to numb the area. After a little less than one hour it was out and I was given instructions on care for the next several days.

It's just now starting to feel sore/uncomfortable, so tylenol should calm that down and I'll probably rest awhile on the couch. It's not having it out so much that I feel good about, but more for what it represents!

2 comments:

Rotorhead said...

I got mine removed. The same day. With only the local. It's great to have that thing out, but truth be told I had gotten used to it and now it seems strange not to have the bump. Anyhow, hope you are staying healthy!
Aloha,
RH

Mike B said...

Did they use the medical durabond on your incision too, Charles?

Whatever happened to good old stitches?

Hope that you are doing well my friend!

-Mike