Monday, September 29, 2008

Thoughts & Observations

First of all, my prayers are with a friend, a fellow musician/guitarist, who I've never met but has been a huge inspiration for me. I've been communicating with Rob for about four months now since my diagnosis. Today is his follow-up colonoscopy.

Rob, from the Detroit area, had a similiar diagnosis and went through the same treatment (Folfox) that I'm currently going through, but he also had radiation. He has now had his mediport removed and is cancer free and I'm hoping that he gets a good report today! This is the link to Rob's blog : (thanks again, Rob!)

http://rocamata.com/news.aspx

I'm starting my 6th cycle if all goes well. The "tingling" sensation (neuropathy) in my fingers is not subsiding as in the past. It seems that many of the side effects are a bit more intense than in previous weeks as well.

I know that the treatments have a cumulative effect and I expect that it's going to be a bit tougher to be comfortable from here on in. So far, there have been some tough stretches, but it's been tolerable for the most part.

The little things seem to be getting worse (i.e. headaches are bordering on migraine, the metallic taste of food and beverages are lingering longer, fatigue is more intense, nausea feeling is happening more often.)

When I do finish this next cycle, I will be halfway through my chemo treatment.

I can't stress enough to everyone that if you're due to get "the test" go and have it done. The prep for a colonoscopy is like having a cold beer compared to going through chemotherapy!

No comments: