Tuesday, September 16, 2008

5th Cycle Started

I had my bloodwork done and the pathology reports indicated some low levels, but still in range, so I began my 5th cycle today.

As soon as I got home, I reached into the fridge without a glove (I forgot how quick that Oxaliplatin works!) and it felt like my hand was on fire.

I was told to use folic acid and b-complex again for the neuropathy. I questioned about it contributing to the constipation problems, but was told that it wouldn't by a physician's assistant oncology nurse. I DO have some b-complex w/folic acid, but I'm going to try upping my fiber intake, metamucil and sugar-free Jolly Rancher hard candies with "Isomalt" and see if that helps any. I also heard that "Sucrose", another ingredient in sugar-free candies might help.

My doctor said to use the sennecot (vegetable laxatives) if nothing else worked. He feels that it is caused by the anti-nausea meds that I get through the IV and asked if I was using the prescribed anti-nausea meds (zofran & compazine...I'm not). I'm hesitant about using laxatives because I don't want to get dependent on them. I'll see how things work out (no pun intended) during the week.

No comments: