Friday, September 5, 2008

4th Cycle Complete (1/3 of the way)

I started and finished my 4th cycle of the Folfox treatment this past week and for the most part it went well. My next milestone will be finishing my 6th cycle (the halfway point) which should occur in early October is no setbacks.

The week started with a little bit of a pinch when the oncology nurse inserted the needle into my mediport, but I was able to whisper to the oncology nurse whose technique from last cycle gave me NO pain at all (zilch!) and she said that she would make a point to look for me to do the "poke in the port" on my next scheduled cycle start. I told her that I don't know how or what she did, but she has been the only one so far, to insert it with no pain at all.

As for the chemo, it was the same routine, a long first day with the infusion and sent home with the pump of 5-FU, then a little shorter on the second day with the IV and then more 5-FU in my holster pump to infuse overnight until I got in today for the exam and disconnect, where they flush the port with saline and give it a heparin lock.

I had an early appointment today, so I was out by 10am and had a nice breakfast (with hot coffee and not my favorite iced coffee) with my sister, Cathy, who recently had her colonoscopy. Even though they only found and removed one polyp, her doctor wants to see her in a year, due to my situation (sibling/family history?).

It got very hot and humid over the past 2 days, but all in all, it's been a cool August and the heat isn't bothering me like it did during July.

I can't stress enough to get yourself checked (scope) because it is a LOT easy than having surgeries and chemotherapy for six months. Early detection is a key factor and I truly believe that it is what saved my life along with the help of God!

No comments: