Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Began 2nd (of 12) cycles today

Today was a pretty good day. My oncologist thinks that I'm doing well so far (at least he told me that). The pathology indicated that white and red blood cell counts and platelets were good.

One of the oncology nurses stabbed me with "the needle" into my mediport. The lidocaine/prilocaine mix didn't seem to help with that pain :(

She then told me that it was because I had tissue behind where the port was located and that some people don't have and they don't feel a thing. I'm not sure if I buy that, but still feel that the mediport is the way to go for anyone going through chemotherapy.

I got the anti-nausea meds first, then Oxal/LV, a short infusion of 5-FU, then was hooked up to the pump filled with 5-FU.

The nurse covered the port dressing with a big chunk of a very sticky bandage. I made it as far as the first floor, before I had to go into the restroom and use some cold water to peel back one of the sides that was pinching the hair on my chest with every little move that I made.

I got home and started to nap, then my good friend, brother-in-law and former bandmate stopped by to let me borrow his copy of Clapton's Autobiography which his daughter had got for him. (Thanks Ed and Kelly!)

Lots of family birthdays this week too. Happy Birthday to my Father, and Tom, my brother-in-law, and especially to my wife, Anne.

No comments: