Thursday, July 17, 2008

First week of chemo is finished !

I had a later appointment today and noticed that my portable pump started occasionally beeping about three hours before my scheduled appointment. I called the clinic and was told that it was beeping because the dosage was getting low, but after being asked and reading what was left, the nurse told me that there would be enough to last until I got there.

In driving to the clinic, I noticed that it was down to only 002, then 001 when I walked into the building. I had just sat down when it started beeping and didn't stop and the nurse came over and took the battery out of it and said "you're done." She then "unhooked me" and flushed the port and said I was good to go.

Before leaving, I spoke with my oncologist and was given some samples of Senokot, to help things move, so to speak. Other than that, I've had no nausea or feeling sick at all, just some mild sensitivity to cold beverages and food and some minor tingling in my fingertips, but very tolerable at this point.

I can only hope that every week goes as well as this, but I'm a realist and trying not to get ahead of myself and will take things as they come. I've learned that life IS a gift and you must stop and smell the roses when you can.

No comments: