Monday, December 22, 2008

Starting *Final* Round of Chemo

Today started off kinda bad, but ended a bit better because I wasn't going to let anything bother me during this final round of chemotherapy.

First of all, it started snowing here last Friday and didn't stop until last night and then a quick freeze settled in. With the gusty wind, it brought in windchills in the -10 to -3F range by this morning. So we got up early this morning to get a head start on a busy day.

My wife and I both got stuck from where the plow had dumped in front of our cars, so we were out there for quite awhile until we finally got both cars free from the snow. She left for work and called me when she got there to say that she made it okay and the highways were in much better shape. I then left for my chemo appt at 6:55am, even though I didn't have to be there until 8:00am. I was there by 7:30am and was able to get into the facility and wait until the staff showed up.

My white blood cell count was pretty low, but my oncologist said that it was within range and after discussing it with me, opted to continue without any delays. He also said that I've been a model patient (maybe he says that to all the patients?) and asked me if I'd be willing to talk with new patients that had some fear and/or concerns regarding the folfox treatments that I've been having. He said that a re-assuring veteran of the program could really calm a newer patient. Of course I told him that I'd be more than glad to speak with anyone that he wanted me to and I told him how my friend, Rob, is the main person that I, myself, had communicated a lot with when I was first diagnosed, and Rob has been a true friend throughout my whole journey and we still keep in touch via email, although we've never met due to the distance in where we both live.

Rob is now "cancer-free" and although I think I've posted his blog a few months back, here is another link to it :

http://rocamata.com/default.aspx

When I went into the treatment rooms, all of the other doctors and oncology nurses were coming by to wish me Merry Christmas and congratulations on finishing up this week. They are truly a great, professional and fun group and have really made it somewhat enjoyable (if that makes any sense?) to go through chemotherapy with.

Before leaving today, my oncologist spoke with me about the follow-up again and said it would about early summer (if all goes well) when I'd be having the mediport implant removed. I'll have to be monitored closely for a short period, then every 6-8weeks I'll go in to have both mediports flushed (it's a dual catheter port). After that some PET/CT scans and my follow up scope check. My bloodcounts are expected to recover slowly, but my immune system is low and I'm still at risk for catching infections from others while in the early follow-up stages.

So, day 2 tomorrow (Tuesday)of the treatments, they'll disconnect the pump then start the IVs before re-connecting the pump for the last time and on Wednesday (in 2 days) it will be out for good!

Now it's siesta time and I hope to wake up for the season finale of 'Prison Break' tonight.

No comments: