Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm into my 8th cycle (2/3 of treatments)

I'm back into a regular routine with the full chemo regime. It's not a very comfortable feeling with the neuropathy and fatigue along with this post nasal drip, cough and the usual side effects and a few surprise ones. :(

My oncologist examined me and said that my lungs were clear and thought that the drip and cough might be allergy related. I tend to disagree with him, but after thinking about it, I suppose that it could be?

He said to continue to use the saline nasal spray and Delsym cough medicine and if I thought it would help, I could try Flonase, which is loaded with steroids...

"For best results, use FLONASE daily. Your nasal symptoms may begin to improve in as few as 12 hours. Maximum relief may take several days. Results may vary. If side effects occur, they are generally mild and may include headache, nosebleed, or sore throat. FLONASE is available by prescription only; ask your healthcare professional if FLONASE is right for you."

I chose to hold off because I DO think the cough and post nasal drip is getting better and want to try the saline spray and Delsym (which I only started with last Friday night) for a bit longer.

http://www.delsym.com/

In looking at the calendar today, it appears that if all goes well (and that's a big "IF") that I will finish my chemotherapy treatments the week of December 30th. :)

After that, there will be CEA blood tests and monitoring followed by scans. I'll be having my follow up colonoscopy shortly thereafter which will be an annual procedure. Thanks again for all of the well wishes and positive thoughts and prayers...they are working!

No comments: